Book Report: The Phantom of the Opera

Book Report




The Phantom of the Opera, by Gaston Leroux (1911)



I’ll introduce my favorite story, The Phantom of the Opera. This book is a horror story. I liked this story and I couldn’t stop reading because I was worried about its continuation.

First, I’ll tell you about details of this story. The time is 1880 to 1890 and places in Brittany, and the Paris Opera House, France. The Opera House was built between 1861 and 1875. It is 167 m long, 122 m wide and 81 m high. It has 17 floors and a tall roof. There are 80 dressing-rooms for the actors, dancers and musicians. There are very many stairs, corridors and storerooms. In the 1900s, 1500 people worked in the building. Under the Opera House there were stables for horses. And there was a lake! These facts show that the Opera House is so large that you can hardly imagine, and that there are so many rooms that you may get lost once you enter. The author of this book, Gaston Leroux, was French and visited the Paris Opera House many times because he liked the huge, beautiful building and to watched ballets and to listened to music and operas. In 1910, Leroux heard some strange stories about the Opera House. The people of the Opera House talked about a ghost. The ghost lived in the building. Accidents had happened in the building too. Once, a huge glass chandelier fell from the ceiling. One woman died. Leroux thought about these things and he wrote his book. As you may have already noticed, there were places and events that have modeled this story. I was even more afraid to know this because I’m not good at horror stories. However, The Phantom of the Opera was so famous that I wanted to read it.

Next, I wrote down three quotes and will discuss them. The first one is: “Then I will send a wonderful teacher to my daughter. I will send the Angel of Music to her.” (p.12). When I read this sentence, I thought what the Angel of Music is. Is it real angel? Is this story fantasy? Anyway, I still didn’t know what Angel of Music was. The Second one is: Raoul looked at the young woman on the stage. “I know her,” he said (p.19). I was surprised when I read this scene because Raoul and the young woman, Christine, met by chance for the first time in 10 years. At this time, I thought there were some reason why they met again and I wanted keep reading more. The last one is: “Yes, I can love you,” Christine said. “I sang for you. You were my wonderful teacher. But I love Raoul too. Please, Erik, save Raoul and the Persian.” (p.61). When I read this Christine’s serif, I thought she was kind hearted person. She didn’t scream when she saw Erik’s face like a dead man and also, she loved him as a teacher.

I want to recommend this book. This story’s ending is happy, but a little sad. At first, I thought Eric was just a terrible person without humanity, but after I knew his past, I was sorry for him when he chose to die by himself. I have finished read this story, but I have only one thing to worry about that is why Erik’s face was the face of a dead man? Since when has he been such a face? I am very curious about this reason. I give this book 8 stars out of 10.

コメント

このブログの人気の投稿

The Elves and the Shoemaker

The Signalman and the Ghost at the Trial