The Phantom of the Opera


Book Review

 

The Phantom of the Opera, by Gaston Leroux (1911)

This week I read The Phantom of the Opera. This book is a horror story. I liked this story and I couldn’t stop reading because I was worried about its continuation. I wrote down three quotes and will discuss them. The first one is: “Then I will send a wonderful teacher to my daughter. I will send the Angel of Music to her.” (p.12). When I read this sentence, I thought what the Angel of Music is. Is its real angel? Is this story fantasy? Anyway, I still didn’t know what Angel of Music was. The Second one is: Raoul looked at the young woman on the stage. “I know her,” he said (p.19). I was surprised when I read this scene because Raoul and the young woman, Christine, met by chance for the first time in 10 years. At this time, I thought there were some reason why they met again and I wanted keep reading more. The last one is: “Yes, I can love you,” Christine said. “I sang for you. You were my wonderful teacher. But I love Raoul too. Please, Erik, save Raoul and the Persian.” (p.61). When I read this Christine’s serif, I thought she was kind hearted person. She didn’t scream when she saw Erik’s face like a dead man and also, she loved him as a teacher.

I want to recommend this book. This story’s ending is happy, but a little sad. At first, I thought Eric was just a terrible person without humanity, but after I knew his past, I was sorry for him when he chose to die by himself. I have finished read this story, but I have only one thing to worry about that is why Erik’s face was the face of a dead man? Since when has he been such a face? I am very curious about this reason. I give this book 8 stars out of 10.

コメント

このブログの人気の投稿

The Elves and the Shoemaker

The Signalman and the Ghost at the Trial